A man in Houston killed three of his neighbors after setting fire to several units in a rental complex on Sunday, before being shot dead by a police officer, authorities said.
Details: The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Sunday. The suspect, whose name has not been released, is a man in his 40s who was recently told he would be kicked out of the resort.
- “That may have been a trigger for him — I don’t know,” Police Chief Troy Finner said at a news conference on Sunday. “It’s part of the investigation.
- The victims were not named, but Finner said they were men between the ages of 40 and 60. Finner said authorities believed they were all residents of the complex.
finner said the shooter “unfortunately and very sadly” set the units on fire in an attempt to get residents out of the rooms so he could attack them in an ambush, Finner said.
- Firefighters and police received calls about the blaze and shooting around 1 a.m. Firefighters arrived on the scene first but had to take cover when the shooter opened fire.
- Officers found the man in a parking lot across from the compound when they arrived, before an officer shot and killed him.
- The officer who killed the shooter has been placed on administrative leave in accordance with Houston Police Department policy.
Two victims were pronounced dead at the scene and a third died in hospital.
What he says : “It’s just sad what’s happening in our country. I’ve seen things I haven’t seen before in 32 years,” Finner said after asking the audience to pray for the victims and the city.
- “And it’s happened over and over again, and people are asking the chief of police and the chiefs of police, ‘Why?’ And we don’t even know that right now, we’re just asking the community to come together.